Question: In the 1983 World Cup semi-final which team did India beat?
Answer – England
The semi-final match of the 1983 Cricket World Cup between India and England took place on June 22, 1983, at Old Trafford in Manchester, England. India won the match by 6 wickets to reach their first-ever World Cup final. Here are the stats for the match:
- England innings total: 213 all out in 60 overs
- Top scorer for England: Graham Gooch – 115 runs off 136 balls (12 fours)
- Best bowling figures for India: Madan Lal – 3 wickets for 31 runs in 12 overs
- India innings total: 217 for 4 in 54.5 overs
- Top scorer for India: Mohinder Amarnath – 46 not out off 86 balls (3 fours)
- Man of the Match: Madan Lal for his all-round performance of 3 wickets and scoring 17 runs not out.
India’s victory over England in the semi-final of the 1983 Cricket World Cup is considered to be one of the greatest upsets in the history of the game, as India was not considered a strong contender for the title at the beginning of the tournament. The victory inspired a generation of cricketers in India and is regarded as a watershed moment in Indian cricket history.